Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen



It seems that the new Transformer movie has been accused of racism. It seems two of the robots, Skids and Mudflap, are jive-talking and illiterate. Critics say this proves that the writers were trying to depict these robots as Blacks.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_FILM_TRANSFORMERS_JAR_JAR_AGAIN?SITE=ORMED&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

And, yet, crude racial stereotypes (such as the YouTube video below) are overlooked. YouTube is usually quick to pull offensive videos, but for some reason they let this video stay. I suppose the reason is because the video was created by an African-American.

Comments

  1. LMAO.

    Funnier and funnier.

    I saw Transformers yesterday with my son. The first 30 minutes are for the plot, and the other 2 hours (yep its 2:30 in length) are nonstop roller coaster action. Was a fun movie, I thought. And you get to look at Megan Fox every now and again, which is always a nice bonus.

    The two transformers in question were trying to riff on ghetto culture, but were not really portrayed negatively -- it was meant to be funny. There are also positive black role models in the movie (some of the soldiers) and some very negative white role models (the NSA is portrayed as the typical Hollywood out of touch white guy with a tie ... should I be crying sexism and racism?). In all it was a fun movie, meant to be fun, and trying to ferret out sexism and racism in it, like that writer did, seems to miss the point rather flamboyantly.

    By the way, did you go to Stanford (noticed the cap). I did -- class of 89 here. Beat Cal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I forgot I was wearing my Stanford hat. There goes my street cred.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Violence In Chicago

Catfish: The TV Show and Lookism