Three Things My Dog Taught Me



My dog died on Tuesday. On Monday, I pretty much knew he was facing the end.

I took him to the vet Tuesday morning. And the vet recommended euthanasia. Although I was expecting that statement, it was still depressing to hear. So I took him home and decided to spend a few remaining hours with him. I fed him a hot dog (his favorite food) and he slept by my feet while I did some work.

I was looking for an excuse to keep him alive another day. But he could barely stand and he looked like a skeleton. His kidneys had shut down and his body could not get nourishment from food.

I had him perform one last trick (barking on command) and then I took him to the vet. I held his head while he got the end of life drug. Within seconds his head dropped and he was dead.

Below is a video I did 6 years ago with Dino on how to train a dog to ring a bell. He was a smart dog that I was able to use in quite a few videos.

Anyway, the last couple of days I thought of some of the things he taught me. I trained him. And then he returned the favor.

Comments

  1. So sorry for the loss of Dino. A great dog is never forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about this. Dogs are awesome. Part of me was wondering if you were going to tell us that he taught you how to lick your own balls.

    You're absolutely right. Human interaction with others in real life on a regular basis is key. I wish more people on our side would do this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sad. Some of my best friends have been dogs and the parting has always been most difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Condolences. I am very close to my dog, and don't want to even think about the inevitable day we have to part.

    My dog also uses bells, but at night, when he doesn't want to wake up the kids, he has a 3-level "escalation" system. First, he shakes his head and flaps his lips, which is pretty easy to hear anywhere in the house. If that doesn't work, he rings the bells. If I don't hear that, he barks. I didn't teach him the first or the last, but somehow he figured it out. Dogs are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about Dino. I know how hard the death of a pet can be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sincere sympathies buddy. I know the feeling and it's just horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this bombed me out Ramz. Brought back memories of my dog who was with me for 14 years. Truly you lose your best friend when your dog dies.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Violence In Chicago

Catfish: The TV Show and Lookism